Clogged drains are the most common issue that every homeowner has to face and he has to do drain cleaning most often as well. Unfortunately, clogs mostly appear at the wrong times. Imagine you are expecting a guest at your place and you find out water standing around the shower or standing in the washroom sink. This will be not only a nuisance but an embarrassing situation as well.
Whenever you notice that water drains out slowly in the sink or shower, etc this could be an indication of a clogged drain or this could also mean that your drain needs cleaning. Drain cleaning can be done through different methods.
Drain cleaning is not a difficult task if there is not some bigger issue or a tough clog. However, in some situations, drain cleaning becomes difficult due to stubborn clogs and you have to call a professional plumber to solve the issue. This also means there will also be an extra burden on your pocket. However, there are also some hacks that you could try to solve the issue.
Not every time you need a plumber to solve the issue. There are some homemade remedies as well that you can try to get rid of the clogs or clean the drains.
5 Drain Cleaning Hacks
Drains can get clogged due to anything causing a hindrance in the smooth flow of water inside the drain. They could be hair, grease, food, toilet paper, etc. Whatever may be the reason, it should not be ignored because it could lead to bigger problems. Drain cleaning is not a fun task at all which is why you should take immediate action if you notice slow draining of water in any of your drains.
Fortunately, not all drain clogs need the services of a plumber. There are many hacks that you could try for drain cleaning and to get rid of stubborn clogs. Some of the most tried and tested hacks are given below that you can try yourself without any extra burden on your pocket.
1. Hot Water
You should never underestimate the power of hot water. Hot water can do miracles when it comes to clogs and cleaning of drains. You need to follow the below steps to perform this hack.
- Take a pot and fill it with water.
- Put it on the stove and turn on the flame.
- Let the water boil till it reaches the boiling point.
- When the water is boiled turn off the flame.
- Let the water cool for 3-5 minutes.
- Now remove the top cover of the drain to be cleaned.
- Start pouring water into the drain.
- Hot water will flush away any debris or grease causing the clog.
- Repeat the process if needed.
2. Wire Hanger
This hack is also very effective when it comes to handling drain clogs. A wire or coat hanger is all that you need to get rid of the slow draining problem of your drain. This trick is most effective for shower drains. Below steps have to be followed in order to try this hack.
- Take a wire hanger or a coat hanger.
- Straighten out the hanger from one side making it a straight wire from one end and the hook on the other end.
- Now start entering the wire into the drain from the hooked end down.
- Let the wire reach the point of clog or obstruction.
- When the wire does not go any further start rotating the wire in a circular motion in order to get hold of the hair or debris causing the clog.
- When you get hold of the debris with the help of a hook, start taking it out carefully.
- In this way, you can take out all the debris.
- Pour some hot water at the end to clear away the entire gunk.
3. Sodium Hydroxide/ Caustic Soda
Sodium hydroxide also known as caustic soda is an inorganic compound. It is easily available at local hardware stores. You can use this compound as a hack for drain cleaning and unclogging. However, you have to be very careful while handling this product as it can cause severe burns. Follow the below steps to try this hack.
- Take a bucket and fill it with water.
- Add three cups of caustic soda in it.
- Start mixing with the help of a wooden spatula while wearing gloves as it could be harmful to your skin.
- When you start to hear buzz sounds, stop mixing.
- Now start pouring down the mixture into the drain.
- Let the mixture rest inside for 25-30 minutes.
- In the end, pour down some hot water.
4. Baking Soda Mixed with Vinegar
Baking soda is an excellent product for drain cleaning. Follow the given steps to use this hack.
- Take 1 cup of baking soda.
- Take 1 cup of vinegar.
- Pour down baking soda into the drain.
- After that, pour down vinegar into the drain as well.
- You will start to hear fuzz sounds from the drain. This means the reaction has started to clear away the gunk, debris, dirt, etc.
- Let the mixture rest inside for about an hour.
- Pour down hot water, in the end, to flush away the debris and clean the drain.
5. Baking Soda Mixed with Salt
Follow the given steps for this homemade cleaning hack.
- Take 1 cup of baking soda.
- Take 1 cup of salt.
- Pour down into the drain and let the mix rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Pour down boiling water, in the end, to clear away the remains.
The above-mentioned DIY hacks are not only proven to be effective but they are easy to use and very less expensive as well. They also do not pose any harm to your home’s plumbing, bathroom, and kitchen sink like commercial chemical cleaners.